Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Evolving the Database for DevOps

This article is featured in the new DZone Guide to Databases: Relational and Beyond. Get your free copy for more insightful articles, industry statistics, and more!

I’m writing this article with feelings of “conflicted passion.” As a database administrator with two decades of experience, devoted to investments in platform expertise, I’ve honed my skills. I was known for building database systems, focused on making the most with the technology of a given database platform. While working at Oracle, I utilized strong skills in partitioning, PL/SQL code and functions, and other Oracle-specific features.A similar scenario developed when I worked with Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Informix, and others. I used the features that were built by the database vendor to make the most of the database platform. This solution created a double-edged sword. The business received the most from the platform they chose, but the cost was a single-platform solution for coding, release, and skillset. The solution often had challenges bridging to environments on other platforms, often requiring ITdepartments to have policies on what they would and would not support. Due to this cost, the DevOps engineer in me knows that we must change for DevOps to encompass the database more successfully, resulting in the conflict I feel.



from DZone.com Feed https://ift.tt/2Px65pi

No comments:

Post a Comment